Friday, February 6, 2009

Tour de Dublin

Wednesday, the CIEE students took an incredibly long and interesting tour of Dublin. While we only hit about half of the city, I filled an entire Facebook photo album of the pictures (which just goes to show how big the city is for a European town).
We got off the bus to see the beautiful campus of Trinity College. We didn't go very far into, nor did we see the Book of Khels (yet) but just first walking in, it was amazing.As we walked around the city learning more history then I will ever remember, there was so many different sizedbuildings from the years of different leadership (ie. Vikings, Britian; Ireland didn't stand a chance...)



No, I'm not going to show you every picture I took of every single building. But they're cool right? I know.
History Lesson:
This building seen below is one fo the many Georgian houses that were built. Dublin happens to be one of the best preserved Georgian cities. Note how the windows get bigger to smaller as they go up and the semi-circle windows over the doors. The children would live on the top floor while their nurses would live in the basement (something I see as cruel and unsual punishment, personally).
After seeing many buildings and musuems (not going in them, a group of us are doing that
today!) we went to St. Stephen's Green Park.

Apparently this little pigeon you see here could be worth 500,000 Euro. The Irish I guess like to have pigeon fights or races, something wierd like that, and I guess the best pigeon in Ireland escaped recently. So, if you see a pigeon, which if your in AZ you see a lot of them, it just might be worth your house or education.
There's this house in Dublin that was owned by Powerscourt (Wiki him) and this is one of his many estates. Another he has in a city just an hour outside of Dublin. Apparently he has these gardens, one for every nationality.

This is used to scrape off the horse poop, since they didn't have cars back then...While we were at Trinity college for a second time meeting up with te other half of our group, there was a demonstration going on by the students. I guess they get free tuition and because the economy is so bad the government is thinking about charging the students. They didn't get much sympathy from the US student group.
That night a group of went out to Temple Bar, the famous tourist atraction where they have overpriced drinks. The atmosphere was really nice, but not worth the 6.20 Euro I payed for my Bulmer's Cider.
On Thursday, we took a bus tour of the city. Thank God. I have never been more cold in my life. I coulnd't feel my toes through my rain boots and socks. I thought for sure frost bite had set in.
We had to get off to see the really cool prison museum, Kilmainham Gaol.
We all wanted to go to the Guinness Factory, but after that tour, about twelve of us were to frozen to move and had to wait for several buses to get home in the slushing snow that was gracing us with her precense.
Other than the cold and everything being waaaaaaay to overpriced, Dublin is such an amazing city! and all the people are so lovely.
I'll post pictures of my tiny room soon!

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures fish lips. I am glad you guys are having the opportunity to see some sites brfore the school begins. It will warm up soon and you will be enjoying everything. Looks like you teamed up with some great girls also. Hope all is well with the computer since you posted this info after we talked. Have fun and learn lots.
    More pictures with out fish lips for the parents.
    Keep us posted.
    Love you Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great experience! I'm with your folks and would love to see photos of the signs of the pubs and hang outs. Its sort of fun to travel vicariously through you. Keep on blogging!

    Love Uncle John and Aunt Sam

    ReplyDelete